Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Treating the Client to Lunch

It's always good to treat your client well and take him out for a stellar lunch. Sometimes, we'll use in-house catering, who offers a fine selection of tasteless wraps. Other times, we'll go with Au Bon Pain, where salt-laden soup is always available, fresh from plastic bags! But today, the client was ready for an adventure. And with that, we wandered down to Food Truck central, that is, 12th and G.

There were a few trucks parked nearby, but we opted for an old favorite of mine, Sauca. Two vegetarian options, both of which can be made vegan: Medi-Veggie, and SOB Veggies. The SOB (without cheese and with hot sauce) is my favorite, and I went to the old standby. Black beans, mango salsa, fresh chopped cilantro with some saffron rice, on a delicious grilled flatbread. It comes with chimichurri sauce, but I like to add hot sauce to kick it up. My non-vegan colleague and client had the Beef Shwarma and Buffalo CHicken respectively--we were too busy to discuss, but the food disappeared, so it was clearly pretty good.

The service today was a little spotty. The cashier did not give out numbers, and there seemed to be a lot of orders coming up that no one was claiming. Considering the short line, we waited a little longer than I expected in the pre-storm heat. But, as always, the food was worth it. Tasty, healthy, and light but filling. It's just a nice clean blend of flavors that I always enjoy. If I had one criticism, it's consistency--the mango is sometimes there, sometimes not, the rice is sometimes a little undercooked, but not today. I also wish Sauca would broaden the options with an occasional special. But, this is one of the solid food trucks that is in my regular rotation, and I'm glad they are regular visitors on the Metro Center circuit.

I was too busy to take a picture today, so instead, on Bastille Day Eve, I present the French flag, and extend a merci to Sauca for excellent vegan options.

No comments:

Post a Comment