Saturday, July 9, 2011

District Taco--Worth the Ride?

Back home in "The 703" after my trip to Chattanooga, and Awesome Wife and I decided to seek out some Saturday lunch vegan goodness.  Food truck pickings were (as always) a little slim, but we saw that District Taco was at the Courthouse Farmers' Market.  So, we headed out on our hybrids to check it out.  It's about ten miles each way.  On a road bike, that's a warmup.  On a hybrid, it's a trek.  But, off we went.

After almost stopping at the Sauca restaurant, we continued on, and found the cart.  For vegans, they offer a veggie option (be sure to ask for no cheese).  AW added guacamole and grilled veggies, I asked for grilled veggies and habanero sauce.  The service was quick and friendly, and the price for 2 tacos and a soda for each of us was only $12.

The food was--and I am sorry to say this--"meh" to not so good.  The tortillas are nothing extraordinary, the kind of thing you'd find at your local Giant.  The veggies were fresh, and not heavy, but the beans were very liquidy, making the whole thing messy to eat.  The guacomole was just mashed avocado, and AW rated hers pretty bland.  The habanero sauce on mine was really good, but the mushy consistency was a little offputting, and it was just alright.

Was it worth the ride?  Sadly, not so much.  It wasn't bad, and I appreciated the vegan option, but I would probably not go back again.

This week is going to be slim pickings for me, as the other side in one of my cases has me hopping through depos this week.  Hopefully, there will be time to score something good--and you'll be the first to know.  Here's a picture from our ride home, which hopefully compensates for the less than attractive photo above.

1 comment: