Saturday, July 23, 2011

DC Kabob and Grill--Great Food Even Though "It's 121 Degrees In Here!"

Friday was a hot day in DC.  Not Florida hot, where there's always a little ocean breeze to take the edge off.  Not Phoenix hot, where there is usually zero humidity.  Not Dashi-I Lut, Iran hot (ok, well it was nowhere near as hot as that, but you get the point.)  But it was already close to 100 degrees by 1 pm, when I had a chance to run out for some takeaway, and a lot of food trucks had opted to stay home.  There were, however, a few new trucks near Metro Center. Since I only had ten minutes, I decided to just run out the front door of the office building, and see if there was anything out there.  If not, Cosi it would be.

There were four trucks neatly lined up, and the line was short at DC Kabob and Grill (NB: I am not providing a link, as there is none.  No Twitter feed either, so you can't find them on Food Truck Fiesta, it's luck of the draw).  And I use luck in the most positive sense, as the food was excellent, as was the service.

Not a lot to choose from here.  A couple of sandwich/salad/rice options for the carnivores and for the vegans, the aptly named "Vegetarian."  The Vegetarian consists of a salad plus a whopping portion of chana masala.  The salad was simple, and featured fresh lettuce, onions, tomatoes, carrots and some spices.  They normally use a yoghurt dill dressing, but the owner stopped his co-worker from using it, and offering to use hot sauce instead.  I am a hot sauce lover, and this was delicious--flavorful and left my mouth tingling.

I've eaten a lot of chana masala, and this was much better than what you get in the generic Indian restaurant.  Thicker, less oily, more zippy, as opposed to the oily (often buttery) version served at the typical Indian restaurant.  I wonder if this was Pakistani, which might explain the difference.  Regardless, the portion was filling, the rice well-cooked, and I was really pleasantly surprised.

I asked the guy how he was doing inside the truck.  He had an internal thermometer, which read 121 degrees.  I tipped generously (particularly since it was only $7 for the meal!)  I hope that this truck will start tweeting locations.  I would definitely include it in my lunch rotation, as the food tasted healthy (I felt terrific afterwards, albeit I was starving going in having spent two hours torturing myself at the gym before work) and was just so good.  Well done, over-heated DC Kabob and Grill guy.  Well-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment