Tuesday, July 5, 2011

TaKorean--Worth the Walk?

It was a steamy Tuesday, back in the office after the Fourth.  I was starving after 90 minutes at the gym early this am, but there was a paucity of trucks in Metro Center.  I decided to hoof it up to Franklin Park, and check out a new truck--TaKorean.  The fusion of Korean and Mexican flavors sounded intriguing, and I needed to step away from a morning of conference calls.

There was a pretty long line, but it moved amazingly fast.  When I got up to the front, ordering was pretty easy--pick one protein (Carmalized Tofu is the veg choice), one slaw (Napa-Romaine is the veg option) and up to four toppings (sesame seeds, sriracha, fresh cilantro are vegan, Lime-crema for the lacto-vegetarians).  The helpful guy at the counter informed me that the kimchi slaw (the other slaw option) was made with fish sauce, so that was off the table.  For $8, you get three "tacos" served open-faced in a corn tortilla.  The portions are generous, but not so much that you feel sick afterwards.  And, once I got to the front, order was ready in 30 seconds!

The tofu was marinated in hoisin, and very tasty, especially contrasted with the zip of the sriracha.  I love cilantro and sesame seeds, so those added a lot of flavor, but I found the slaw a little bland.  The corn tortillas were fresh and flavorful.

The meal was tasty and seemed relatively healthy.  It filled me up for the afternoon, and had pretty good nutritional value.  I'd certainly return for another visit, and, despite the heat, it was well worth the walk.  I wouldn't have guessed that the flavors would have meshed so well, but I guess this makes a good case for a Mexican-Korean alliance (presumably, South Korea.....). Give then a follow on Twitter!

2 comments:

  1. This is delicious. I'd like to bike into DC this weekend and grab some TaKo lunch if they're around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, I meant to write "This looks delicious." Oops.

    ReplyDelete